Monday, February 16, 2015

A storm is coming!

Hiya peeps!

As promised the next model to be finished is the Rune Priest! I actually had this sucka for quite some time, but only did the very basics. After I finished Lukas I really wanted to do all the characters models that I had. I've played with this character a few times already, but truth be told I didn't have a lot of luck with this guy. Even though a lot of people were saying psykers ould be really good in this game, I haven't felt it yet. Maybe because the tempestus powers aren't that good compared to the standard powers in the rulebook and honestly it is quite true. A lot of the powers from the Space Wolves have been nerved quite a lot, but then again they were too powerful in the previous version. Anywho maybe I should jut try a different power instead and see how that works out.

So now on to the model itself! With this one I tried a new technique I picked up from the Space Wolf painting guide that was included in the 7th edition Companies of Fenris book. For the fur I basically used washes to color, create and layer depth. You start out with a light base color, in this case Screaming skull. After that you start using the first layer of wash, in this case Agrax Earthshade,just on the part where the darkest shade would be on the fur. Let it dry and then apply the second wash layer on the darkest part and on the second darkest part of the fur. This way the previous part will get even darker and second darkest part is a shade lighter then the previous one. If you keep building up the layers with this technique you will create a gradient effect from dark to light. After that you only need to dry brush the all the highlights and you're done!

I really like this technique because you basically need one wash to do all the shading. The only real problem that this takes awhile since you need to build up quite an amount of layers to get a nice effect. And I think this technique can only be applied to a few surfaces like fur for instance.

Anyways thank for reading again and see you next time! This time I think it will be the Murderfang! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment